Health Care Reform - Assurant Health Timeline of Events
This timeline of events will help guide you in the changes that have already taken place, as well as the changes that have yet to take place due to the health care reform laws (ACA) that were passed.
Health care reform changes by year:
- Health care reform bill (ACA) passes
- Existing plans grandfathered
- Apply for a plan on or before February 15 to receive an effective date of March 1.
- Apply for a plan on or before February 28 to receive a March 15 effective date.
- Apply for a plan on or before March 15 to receive an effective date of April 1.
- Open enrollment ends March 31* for ACA compliant plans. If you apply for a plan on this day, your effective date will be April 15 or May 1. Learn more about your options or open enrollment.
*Note for Nevada residents: You can purchase a major medical plan outside of the scheduled open enrollment period without having a qualifying life event. However, if purchasing outside open enrollment without a qualifying life event, you will be subject to a 90 day waiting period and effective date rules.
- Open enrollment is currently scheduled to start on November 15, 2014 for 2015 plans, for effective dates beginning January 1, 2015.
- Open enrollment is currently scheduled to end February 15 for 2015 ACA compliant plans.
Is this reform information helpful? Let us know.